The article on the GT-511C3 fingerprint scanner hardware, wiring and connector numbering shows how to connect the fingerprint scanner module to 5V and 3.3V microcontrollers using the Arduino Uno and Arduino Due as examples.
The article includes the pin numbers and functions as well as voltage levels and default baud rate. Information is provided that shows how to make up a cable with connector that will plug into the GT-511C3 FPS (fingerprint scanner).
Go to the article →
The new Raspberry PI Model A+ board has been launched this month. It is a smaller version of the Model A and shares some of the features of the model B+. The board size is 56mm wide by 66mm long and 14mm high.
This video from RasPi.TV has more details on the new board:
The RasPi.TV blog has more details and photos of the new Raspberry PI board.
The Amontec website is down, so here are the files that are needed for the Amontec JTAGkey:
Amontec JTAGkey Driver (885.8kB): amontec-jtagkey-driver-d2xx-20091124.zip
Amontec JTAGkey SVF Player (152.0kB): amontec-jtagkey-svfplayer-v2-0-20111011.zip
Arduino software version 1.0.6 is now available at the download section of the Arduino website.
The following changes in version 1.0.6 of the software are from the release notes:
ARDUINO 1.0.6 - 2014.09.16
* avr: Improved USB-CDC write speed (Justin Rajewski)
* avr: Improved USB-CDC read code (Paul Brook)
* avr: Fixed race condition in USB-CDC transmit (Paul Brook)
* avr: Added replacement stub for cstdlib atexit() funciton
* Fixed wrong NULL pointer handling in Stream class
(Amulya Kumar Sahoo)
* Backported String class from IDE 1.5.x (Matt Jenkins)
* Backported Print class from IDE 1.5.x
* Backported digitalPinToInterrupt macro from IDE 1.5.x
* Added initVariant() hook to allow 3rd party variant-specific
* Added replacement stub for cstdlib atexit() function
* Added compatibility for IDE 1.5.x libraries layout
* Fix toolchain command line to compile assembler files
* If two libraries have the same header file use the lib with
the same folder name (Paul Stoffregen)
* Robot_Control: removed duplicated SPI and Wire (Xun Yang)
* Robot_Control: fixed issue on motors being opposite (Xun Yang)
* Robot_Control: updated turning algorithm (Xun Yang)
* Esplora: added reading form Tinkerkit inputs
* SoftwareSerial: Fix idle level when initializing with inverted
logic (Jens-Christian Skibakk)
* fixed a bunch of examples
* Wifishield: fixed paths on firmware upgrade scripts
The Raspberry PI laptop computer reported in Elektor News was created using a 3D printer for the case, model B+ Raspberry PI, laptop keyboard, track-pad, WiFi, battery and 13.3″ HD screen. The battery lasts 6 to 8 hours.
The name for this laptop is “PI-TOP”, you can read more about it on the Pi-Top website and also follow the project on Facebook for updates.